St Thomas -
St. Thomas’ Church is a grade II listed building, consecrated in 1912, and designed by architect Mr. Temple Moore. The interior features a decorative tympanum above the rood screens. The church has a wooden reredos, wooden screens, pews and choir stalls.
Visitors are welcome to join our Sunday 11am service, and meet our friendly and welcoming congregation. Light refreshments are available.
Initial services in the district, on behalf of the Mother Church, St. Nicholas’ of Skirbeck, were held by Rector R.E. Roy in the Skirbeck Quarter Almshouses prior to the original St. Thomas School being opened in 1866.
Services were held at the school until the Skirbeck Quarter ecclesiastical parish was created in 1885 and a temporary “Tin Tabernacle” church, which took eight weeks to build on land loaned by Mr. J.J. Jebb, was opened in April 1885. The need for a more substantial building was realised, and monies were raised by Reverend Lombardini to construct a brick church on land gifted by Mr. G.W. Jebb, with construction commencing in 1911 following plans drawn up by architect Mr. Temple Moore. The current church was consecrated on 9 th May, 1912 by Bishop Frederick Hicks. The current choir stalls were dedicated in 1927, the rood screens and beam dedicated in 1933, and shortly afterwards the colourful tympanum depicting The Crucifixion installed. Plans to build a tower were not realised and the final layout of the church was completed by 1957. The current organ was installed in 1979. A War memorial was unveiled in the churchyard in 1921 and recently restored in 2016.
Our Service schedule: Sundays 11am Sung Eucharist,
Thursdays, 11am, Said Eucharist
Saturdays, 9am, Morning Prayer
London Road, Boston PE21 7EJ